Monday, August 29, 2011

Full belly and wine in a scarf, these are the happy moments of Life!

8/ 28 Sunday: Venice -> Tavarmelle (Tuscany, Italia)

I awoke with a slight pang and stiffness in my left knee, perhaps we have been walking a bit much? Just a little? Hehe. We had some trouble pealing ourselves from our beds and down to breakfast. After a small coffee incident with Alli and the breakfast woman, we checked out and secured our bags into lockers at the hostel.

An old venetian man pointed us the way to St. marks, so i could get to church on time. Alli watched my belongings, since I had to shed everything to enter St Marks Basilica for mass. (thank you Alli, for your shaw, so I could enter without wearing paper!) Tourists were lined up in long cues comparable to those at Disney to enter. But I snuck in though a guarded side door reserved only for those attending mass! (What's up? Catholic line jumping!) It was absolutely breath taking inside. Wooden chairs with kneelers on the back were set up in the hall, I believe they take them away during tourist hours to allow people to wander. As I sat there listening to an italian homily I could not understand, I peered around. The high domed ceilings were covered in gold plated tiles, with picture after picture of saints. They still had a communion rail (even though they didn't use it) and wooden arches separating the people from the alter. I felt so blessed to be in such a beautiful place to worship. Sun was coming down in little rays through the upmost windows, and I felt especially touched to be in it's light. After mass, I said a prayer for my parents and grandparents in front of Mary, and feeling a bit more at home, left.

While Kaitlin was conversing with God Alli was people watching (I should have snuck in too)...








Post mass, I reconnected with Alli grabbed some food and took our last stroll through Venice. It seemed like we couldn't get away from this one path through the back streets. Even though we had walked this path 3 or 4 times the night before, we could help loving the quaint european side streets lined with shop after shop, bridge after bridge, and many many twists and turns. We really hated to leave, Venice had everything we wanted!

Reluctantly we retrieved our luggage, reallocated our belongings inside, and hopped the water bus to the train station (i find it amusing that every time we become pros at a city, we leave).



Promptly we attained tickets and boarded our correct train to Florence (fierenze). Once in Florence we ate, of course! Then camped at the bus station to wait for the bus to take us to the hostel. While waiting we met up with a girl who recognized us from the hostel in Nice! We ended up going to the same hostel, again, in Tuscany. She was with 3 of her 5 siblings traveling from France into Italy. I really enjoyed talking to her and hearing about how she backpacked when she was younger and met her husband in italy, lol. She told me also that their journey in Tuscany to Pisa were two of their last stops.I wish them well on their journey! Ciao!

I must say that taking the bus was one of the cheapest things we've done! Cheeper then eating, ha. We took the twisty turny streets through Florence and out into the Tuscan country side, they were beautiful. (If we can we must return to Florence to actually see it!) Following very specific directions, we made it to the hostel in Tavarnelle. The woman at the front desk was so very helpful, and suggested we walk the 2km to Barberino, a midevil town, to watch the sunset. Immediately sold, we quickly hand washed and hung to dry some necessary pieces of clothing, and started the pleasant walk to Barberino. My camera was dead, so Alli had to take pictures for 2. We raced the sun set. Finally we hit what must have been the spot. Rolling hills over a chianti vineyard, Italian conical trees silhouetting the hues of red, pink, and purple sky. We sat on the low stone wall, marveling at the site until all the light was gone.





When the sun had set we decided to grab a bottle of wine at the local bar. We got a local wine, and had the bartender open it for us. Alli used her ingenuity to make our newly patented holder out of a scarf, and strolled up the hill back to our little town. Now completely hungry again, we deposited Alli's camera in the room, and searched for food. Feeling so free with no bags and no large camera.. We ended up a a cute little restaurant called Ristorante Borgo Antico Albergo Vittoria. I am sorry to say we can't show you pictures of this amazing feast. We started off with water, a bottle of their house wine(literally they made it there) and caprese (fresh mozzarella with tomato and basil on fresh bread adding our own amounts of balsamic and olive oil). Our main meals were even better, and I must say if eating glutin is going to kill me... I am going out in style! The taste of good bread and pasta has brought tears to my eyes. Mom and Ronna, I know you can appreciate this. Alli ordered the homemade pasta with truffle oil and mushrooms, the house specialty. I ordered the gnocchi with marinara sauce, basil and cheese. Reaching a comatose state, completely stuffed, we profusely thanked our waitress and weaved our way up the hill to our hostel. Hitting the bed very very very hard, we fell asleep quickly. Tuscany is awesome.

And Alli is dizzy :)

Ciao!
Kait and Alli!

No comments: