Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Monday in Greece

So yea, I'm finally behind on this blog... It was bound to happen. We have gotten to the point of being so caught up in everything around us that all the days are blurring together. Monday in Greece. We made the executive decision that instead of boarding an 18 or so hour bus ride, we are leaving Tuesday for turkey by airplane. We slept in of course, waking up at that bright and early hour of noon. Staying up late to try to connect to people, and looking up flights wears one out after a while. We awoke and went back to the computers to secure what we thought would be our flight. After a while the hunger took over, so we set out to find food. Wandering while hot, dehydrated and hungry seems to be a theme of this trip... But eventually we found something to eat.. After losing patience with each other (go figure... We are sisters... Honestly). After eating something small we went back to the room to lounged in the air conditioned room, it was so hot out, and we needed to regain our heads... Well me mostly. I know that when I don't know what I am going to eat next, and am so far out of my comfort zone I panic.. After I put myself in time out, and then apologized to Alli we decided to hit the markets again. We found fun things for cheep, and most excitingly we found an open air market. Alli was positively giddy at the amount of olives. We made friends with the olive seller, and he allowed us to sample different kinds. After Alli asked for his favorite, he secured her a large bag full of the olives, all for 1€. Alli was positively beaming and snacked as we continued. Further down the line another seller whistled us over and have us sample bunches of grapes. these were them most delicious I have ever tasted. Yes they had pits in them but the warm juice was like perfume hitting my senses. For .70€ I got a huge bag, and washed them off with my water and snacked on them throughout the streets. We found a cool junk shop/flea market to wander in,but were immediately overwhelmed. After taking one or two daylight pics of the acropolis we decided we needed Greek gyros and then a lay down in the air conditioning. We were taking Greece in short spurts, the heat was a bit much. After another lay down and some music and a wonderful shower (and yes a couple cocktails from the hostel bar) we headed out towards the sister hostel of ours, there it was rumored was a beautiful view of the acropolis and a rooftop bar. So we sped, racing the sun set through our ummm short cut, ha. We made it there and climbed the 5 or so floors to the roof. The view was stunning. The leverage of Hightower from a rooftop but the acropolis in direct view. (Alli please post your picture of the two of us please!) Alli ordered her new favorite, a Greek beer that was cheep, and I got my new fav, bicardi watermelon breezer (I love the word breezer) the bartender brought us over free shot. Now we are not sure if it is customary to receive a free shot, but this was the third free shot we had received in two days. Alli was lovin' it. While up there we sat with a British girl on holiday who had just traveled from Istanbul, and we got the scoop of what are must sees from her. Its always nice to get another travelers opinion. Deciding we had out fill of staring at the acropolis, and not wanting to return to our hostel too late because of the area... We headed back. On our way I saw the poet shoemakers shop that Marci had sent me an article on! I snapped a pic, and then alli and I knew we would never make it home without food in our bellies. We stopped in a charmingly lit little square and sat down to eat. While there I accidentally locked myself in the restroom, and had to be rescued by the cook. While we ate a cat came up to the table and sat down politely looking at us both. Alli said, I know you want to feed him, but don't you dare. I sighed a bit, but obeyed. But the cat didn't move, he decided to sit with us our entire meal, even laying down and giving us happy eye blinks. When Alli turned her head I snuck him the last small piece of my meat. Alli promptly yelled tame, exasperated. But the cat didn't eat the meat. Maybe he is a vegetarian? I thought...when we got up to leave the cat finally noticed the food, and I smiled. Alli said, Kaitlin you cannot feed the strays, just like I cannot squeeze all the dogs I see.I knew she was right, but I missed my kitties... Back at the hostel we settled in with our computers and music at the hostel bar. I was determined to try to upload as many pictures as I could. I was so far behind, the last pictures I was able to download was Barcelona.... And we had come so far. Another late night ensued, of just mildly connecting to the Internet and trying to let people know how we were doing, and in return hearing about how things were going at home. Greece is nice, but we know if we are to return we need to go to the Islands, everyone keeps telling us that THAT is the place to be. But in true Kait and Alli fashion, we just roll into town, sample and get a feel, and roll back out again. That is what we do. <3 Kait and Alli

No comments: